Sunday, September 26, 2010

Girls are girls right?

Ok so I  really want to work with girls and teen girls and I've been thinking of what a girl's ministry programme would look like.I've realised you should never be to proud to take notes from what someone else has been doing in your area of interest...so I googled it,yes I googled "girls ministry".

What turned up was as  expected I suppose,lots of cute looking imagery..a line somewhere about teaching girls to incorporate fahsion trends into their dress etc etc Personally I love cutesy girly looking stuff and was at one point addicted to fashion magazines so I gladly welcome an attractively packaged Christian "voice" in guiding girls through their pre-teen and teen years. What I do question is how *girls ministry*  in our Western,North American context could apply to girls in a South African township...ouch.

I know girls are girls but  I'm just wondering how or what is the best approach to take when reaching  out to young women who live in the poverty embodied by a slum/shanty town  and resources are low.


  I don't know,it just made me think of how the gospel needs to be  life saving to all who hear it,no matter how we package it.And whatever programme or strategy I hope to carry out,  it has to contain truth and life and most importantly it has to point to The Way...yes I love graphics and excuses to put on nail polish but those are just secondary and props to the real star of the show.

 I mean honestly,right now I have a mandate to touch lives and all I have is the markers in my suitcase and the belief that God can use me.


These are my post dinner ramblings.


P.S I'm pretty sure Jesus could multiply markers like He multiplied fish...he he he jus saying

No comments:

Post a Comment